Calling all professional sommeliers. Do you want to be the first ‘Master of Port – Canada’?
The Instituto dos Vinhos do Douro e do Porto, I.P. (IVDP,I.P.) is offering this competition in Canada. The ‘Master of Port’ is a prestigious title awarded to professional sommeliers who are presently working in the hospitality industry and who have displayed expert knowledge in the area of Port associated with wine production, Douro Demarcated Region, history, brands, years and harvests, pairings and moments of consumption and service. This competition is open to professional sommeliers in Canada who are members of CAPS.
The ‘Master of Port’ holder becomes an ambassador of the ‘Port’ brand and thus, is recognized by the industry as a specialist and a representative of the excellence that makes Port one of the best wines in the world.
Registration is now open! Follow link to register. (No cost as a CAPS BC Member.)
May 8th, 2018:
- Deadline to register for the competition
May 14th, 2018 :
- On-line qualifying test to determine the top two (2) representatives from each CAPS/ACSP chapter who will travel to Portugal to compete in the quarter final round
- The on-line test will be written at the same time and same day across the country, with results being determined by the I.V.D.P. .
- 10:00 in British Columbia; 12:00 in Manitoba; 13:00 in Ontario: and 14:00 in Atlantic.
May 15th, 2018:
- The IVDP will notify the candidates who will move to the quarter-final.
- Names will be posted on the website.
June 10 – 14th, 2018:
- Top candidates from each chapter will travel, expenses paid, to Portugal for training and the quarter-final.
- You will have to confirm that you are able to travel within these posted dates at the time of your registration.
2019: Date to be scheduled and announced:
- Semi-final and Final round to be held in Canada in 2019.
- Winner will have the title of Master of Port – Canada until the next Master of Port is named following the next competition.
- Winner will win a trip for two to Portugal.
The Canadian Association of Professional Sommeliers / L’Association Canadienne des Sommeliers Professionels (CAPS/ACSP) is honoured to have been invited to work with the the Instituto dos Vinhos do Douro e do Porto, I.P. (IVDP,I.P.)’, I.P. in delivering this national competition here in Canada.